The annual Osterberg Memorial Lecture and Award was established in honor of Dr. Jorj O. Osterberg, one of the true pioneers of geotechnical engineering, to recognize innovations in the deep foundations construction related to engineering design, testing or education; — all aspects of Jorj Osterberg's lifelong contributions.
Osterberg has long been recognized for his innovations in soil sampling and testing (including his inventions: the Osterberg Sampler and the Osterberg Cell). Dr. Osterberg enjoyed a long and distinguished career as a teacher and consultant; he was professor emeritus of Civil Engineering, Northwestern University.
The award is presented annually at the SuperPile conference or every third year at the International Foundations Conference & Equipment Expo (IFCEE). A portion of the proceeds from the event benefit the DFI Educational Trust Scholarship Fund.
- 2017 Lecture: High-Capacity Load Testing
Presented by John A. (Jack) Hayes, P. Eng., D.I.C.
- 2016 Lecture: Lessons Learned from Dr. Jorj O. Osterberg and His Inventions
Presented by: David K. Crapps, Ph.D., P.E., GPE, Inc. and David K. Crapps, Inc., both of Gainesville, FL
- 2015 Lecture: Load Testing of Deep Foundations: Developments, Applications, Results
Presented by: Dr. Frank Rausche, Ph.D., P.E., GRL Engineers, Inc., Cleveland, OH, USA
- 2014 Lecture: Deep Foundation Behavior in Liquefied Sands From Blast Liquefaction Testing
Presented by: Kyle Rollins, Ph.D., Professor, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- 2013 Lecture: Impact Load Tests for Embassy Protection Against Terrorists
Presented by: Jean-Louis Briaud, Ph.D., Professor, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX
- 2012 Lecture: Experiences with the Osterberg Cell Load Testing Method
Presented by: Dr. Dan Brown, P.E., President, Dan Brown and Associates, Sequatchie, TN, USA
- 2011 Lecture: The “TROM” Method for the Most Economical Design and Construction of Non-Redundant Pile Foundations
Presented by: Dr. John H. Schmertmann, John H. Schmertmann, Inc., Gainesville, FL, USA
- 2010 Lecture: Redesign Tests Save Costs and Time: A Case History.
Presented by: Dr. Bengt H. Fellenius, Bengt Fellenius Consultants, Inc., Calgary, AB, Canada
- 2009 Lecture: Experiences with Jorj Osterberg and How He Revolutionized the Deep Foundations Industry
Presented by: Clyde Baker, Jr., P.E., S.E., Senior Principal Engineer for AECOM, (formerly STS Consultants), Vernon Hills, IL and Robert G. Lukas, P.E., Principal for Ground Engineering Consultants, Northbrook, IL